7/07/2009

What the DOR learned...


Turns out that putting an English saddle on properly is nothing like putting on a western saddle, the position is different. The DOR work on properly tacking up. She had to put on three different saddles using four pad variations properly...she ended up saddling a horse for 1/2 an hour until the instructor was satisfied she knew where to put the saddle and could cinch it up with one hand. She then practiced sitting with a balanced seat. She said she felt wobbly-she better get over that before she gets on me or I'll show her wobbly. She also learned a proper English dismount-which is similar to an emergency dismount in western riding. She plans on riding me English this Wednesday. I am practicing my prancy English trot and head tuck in preparation...I think I can look like the horse in the videos. I might turn into a cow herding, trail conquering, dressage appy-a horse of many talents.
Monday night the DOR and I work on our liberty work in the pasture. It is the biggest space we have worked in at liberty. She did a good job following me while I backed up. I also made sure she could track my hind quarters and fore quarters without wondering off to visit one of the other horses. Then came the big test...could she stay in the middle of a circle that I made around her in a three acre pasture? I circled counter clockwise and turned to face her, she was still there. I them circled clockwise and turned to face her, she was still in the proper place. I was very excited that she has learned we can work together without a halter and leadrope in a big space. She has learned that she doesn't have to get excited and start running around the pasture. We are becoming a herd, the DOR and I, and that makes it much easier to work with her.
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Chocolate Confetti was a beautiful horse, it's a shame his owner lost him last month. I've never seen an Appy that was 16'3, I think that's kinda tall for a Appaloosa. But I could be wrong and usually am.

I'm sure the DOR will get the saddle all figured out, as long as it sits level and doesn't bridge too much it should be comfy for you Jack. And for the DOR. I find I feel more secure in an English saddle than a western one.

You're a very talented horse Jack and such a good boy. You truly are an all around kind of guy.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Thanks Grey Horse. The DOR's old appy Hank is 17 hands...but he is a TB cross-he is doing flat work and some jumping now.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Chocolate Confetti.

On a lighter note, I laughed when I read about your DOR's struggle with an English saddle because I have no clue at all how to tack up using a Western saddle. It's the biggest mystery to me. Western saddles look so wonderful but they mystify me. I love my English trail saddle. It's comfy and secure too.
Congratulations to you and the DOR for learning to be a herd. All your hard work is paying off for both of you.

Strawberry Lane said...

You're a patient guy, Jack! I'd say DOR is doing her best, just keep checking on her.

About saddles, never could figure out a Western saddle, myself, with all those leather things going in, around and out. That English saddle is going to be a piece of cake, not to mention lighter weight.

Unknown said...

Jack, you are going to look great in that english gear. Just don't lose the western accent.

Way to go with the pasture work! very good news!

Desert Rose said...

Jack...you are a riot! Your DOR is sure at your mercy...not sure I'd let Jesse have his own blogg. I trust him with my life in the saddle...but not his words!

jc said...

Jack, I wouldn't mind having a shot of a Western saddle. I fancy myself as a bit of a dude! My owner rides me in a treeless saddle. It's comfy for me and for her.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates