7/26/2009

Quote for the week


You must earn your saddle
-Grandfather
In the tradition of the DORs family's culture a rider had to earn their saddle. A child learns to ride bareback and once they prove their proficiency as a rider they are allowed to have a saddle. I think this is a grand idea. Too many times riders work against their horses without realizing it. When a rider has to ride bareback until they are a proficient horseman they learn to work with their horse. The rider learns to stay balanced and centered, to move with the horse in a manner that supports the horse...because if they don't they find themselves in the dirt.
Saddles create a false sense of security, leaving the rider believing that they are safer on our backs than they really are. The truth of the matter is, that unless you are balanced and working with your horse in a saddle a sudden movement on our part will land you in the dirt. The security comes in the belief that you can grab on quick enough or that the saddle will hold you on, I am thinking that you are usually just lucky enough to scramble madly and stay on.
The DOR is returning to riding bareback, something she did a lot before me (I am goosey), she thinks that we need to spend some time earning our saddle. We will become a better balanced/in-tune team that way.
I'll let you know how it goes.
May I suggest that you try riding your horse bareback, get in-tune with their motion. Besides in this heat it is too darn hot to be messing around in a saddle.
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

5 comments:

EvenSong said...

When I was ten, I traded mucking chores for riding privileges, but there was no way my neighbor was going to let me use her good show saddle. So I rode bareback for at least a year or two. It was great for my balance!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I used to ride bareback all the time when I was young. I guess the one thing I like about English saddles is that there really isn't much to hold on to but I'm not sure I'm ready to even try to ride with a bareback pad yet. I can't wait to hear how you do.

Leah Fry said...

I bought a bareback pad a few months back, but haven't used it yet. My middle-aged behind needs the padding.

Anonymous said...

I pretty much only rode bareback when I was young, and I have a daughter who is now 18 who only rides bareback - everything you say, Jack is really true.

Maisie's DOR

Powell River Books said...

My horse had such a nice round back that riding bareback was very comfortable. I loved the feel, especially if I went out to the pasture and just sat on her back while she ate her way through the tall grass. Those were the days. - Margy

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates