7/18/2009

Freedom speaks Saturday-geriatrics


Geriatrics, why would I want to think about being old?
Well...it effects my diet, my motion, and my emotions. Being an elderly horse is not all clover and rainbows. The facts are that being an elderly horse is not for sissies! There are many more older horses than there used to be because we have better care.
I am in my mid 40's and for the most part I am retired. I hate being retired...I miss the trails, cows, and adventures. I lean across the fence and knicker to the horses that are playing in the arena, it breaks the DOR's heart to see me missing out on the fun. To keep me from being bored the DOR takes me to the arena to play once in a while.
Once I got up to weight after I was rescued I had no problem keeping my weight on. Now I have to have more specialized feedings to keep me up to a good weight (the DOR thinks I look too skinny). I could actually eat some grass last summer, now I can only gum all the flavor out of it.
I am getting stiff and slowing down a bit. Oh I can still lope across the pasture and throw in a buck or two, but mostly I meander around slowly. I spend a lot of time standing in the shade of my favorite trees cogitating about things.
The fact of the matter is that I am winding down and there is nothing that can be done to prevent it. So now is the time to plan for the future. I need the DOR to know what my wishes are, as hard as they may be to face. If I had my way one evening I would lay down to take a nap and that would be my time to cross the rainbow bridge, crossing while I am dreaming of my favorite trail. I think that would be the kindest thing I could do for the DOR. But the truth of the matter is I am a tough old guy, nicknamed "the energizer bunny" for a reason-I just keep going and going, so the DOR is going to have to listen to me when I let her know it is time to tell me good bye. I don't want to be a skinny, wobbling, dementia suffering depressed old horse. If I turn into any of those things it is time for the DOR to step up and do the right thing. Part of owning and loving an old horse is doing the right thing when the time comes.

Remember when a horse is put to sleep the only one to feel the pain is the owner.

Now I plan on hanging around for 40 more years, so please don't feel this is my good-bye...I just want to give DORs something to cogitate...after all a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Life is so good! Oh and Jack told me to remember to say: Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

8 comments:

restoration42 said...

Guess this is an example of how you got your rep as a pretty wise fellow. Helping a horse end the right way is just as important as starting them the right way. Freedom, clearly your DOR is one you can completely trust. Together you will hear when the rainbow bridge is calling.

Amanda said...

I am winding down too!! It is such a shock getting older.

That Janie Girl said...

You and your DOR are pretty dang smart...

Desert Rose said...

In the be time...enjoy your Freedom!

WillOaks Studio said...

A great post on the responsibilities of living (and aging) with any beloved pet. I faced this choice with a loved dog a few years ago. It was the hardest thing I've done but she was failing. I held her in my arms as the vet, also with tears in his eyes, helped her end her suffering so she could move across the Rainbow Bridge. Sometimes it still haunts me a bit, but I helped her because I loved her.

Unknown said...

None of my dogs have gone on their own, and it's darn hard on the owner. But the release, when it comes, is such a blessing, you realize it's the right thing.

Hang in there!

jc said...

Major has a Highland Pony friend who is in her 40s. Her breathing is not so good but she still enjoys pottering round with her two companions. Her owner ADORES her and it will be very hard for her to say goodbye.
I know the pain of parting with animals only too well. Take a look at the 'Jock' section on my blog - still brings the tears after four years.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I live with two very elderly goldens so I just understand so well. Your post made me cry but here's to another fantastic 40 years.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates