7/27/2009

Bareback troubles

The DOR was planning on a short bareback ride last night. Well you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and DORs...the ride didn't happen.
The DOR tried to get on me and I thought she wanted me to walk forward when her right leg squeezed me while she was trying to get on. Needless to say walking off was not a good thing. The mounting block is too low for her to use without squeezing me. So the SCC said he would get on and off me just to make sure that it was a mounting problem and not something else. Turns out it is something else.
The SCC eased himself on to my back and my eyes got all buggy. You see I have never been ridden bareback, it feels weird to have a rider and no saddle. I could feel every muscle in the
SCC's legs and butt. At first my legs refused to move, I didn't think a rider could be on me without a saddle let alone want me to move. The SCC got on and off me several times to help me get used to that. Once I was at ease with that the DOR lead me around. I walked really tentatively, the DOR said I looked like a horse carrying a rider for the first time...in a way I was. I carried the SCC in a 16 foot circle twice while the DOR lead me, she said I did good and we called it a night. I am not sure about this bareback stuff. The DOR says we will work in an English saddle to see if that helps some. She is also thinking of getting a treeless saddle. The DOR and SCC are going to keep helping me get used to having a rider on me with no saddle, maybe someday it won't feel weird.

The nice thing about the DOR is that no matter how good or bad our arena work has gone she loves me. I always get a big hug at the end of our time in the arena and told that I am the best Jack ever. It is nice when things don't go the way the DOR has planned she still enjoys our time together and appreciates my company. She thinks a bad day with horses is as wonderful as a good day with people...go figure.
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

12 comments:

Callie said...

I ride Misty bareback all the time, but am curious as to how Kola will react to it, haven't tried her yet, but we will see. I actually think Misty prefers it, LOL!

Anonymous said...

You have a very good DOR - you are lucky. I'm a little worried by being ridden bareback, too, and I'm 16.2 hands so my DOR has some trouble getting on me even using a tall mounting block. Maisie

Jocelyn said...

I ride star bareback sometimes for fun, but am going to get a bareback pad soon.

I can only do it if there IS a mounting block or tree stump nearby as 16 hands is not easy !

mommanator said...

I should have read yest post first, I was wondering why it was important to ride bareback or any other way for that matter.
When I was about 10 or 11 I had a real bad experience with a horse/mule. And promised myself if I came out of it alive I would properly enjoy horses by looking and respecting them but wouldnt be trying to ride!

Unknown said...

Jack, You'll find the people have better balance and rhythm riding bareback. And they're lighter too. Then you'll be wishing they'd leave the saddle at home!

Unknown said...

Jack, You'll find the people have better balance and rhythm riding bareback. And they're lighter too. Then you'll be wishing they'd leave the saddle at home!

lucky kachina dancer said...

Maverick and I love our bareback rides! Not only are we better connected (in many ways), but it means "hanging out" time, where Maverick gets to graze a little and we can take easy rides along the trail. It's quickly becoming my favorite way to ride.

You'll get used to it! Soon they'll be calling you "Bareback Jack"!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

That last photo says it all ! I love it!

Cheryl Ann said...

Jack, you better be NICE to your DOR, whether she is on you bareback or not! I'll be keeping an eye on you, BIG BOY!
~~Scout~~

Leah Fry said...

Bareback's da bomb, Jack!

Sage said...

Its been a while but I used to get on Star bareback some. At 14 hands she should be easy to get on but for this old has-been broad its still a long reach. Good luck with it tho as it is good for you and Jack. And don't forget those hugs. Star, and the ponies seem to like to give them to me, but Nita and Sunny are reluctant.

Daisy said...

Jack, sometimes learning new things is a little bit hard. But I think you are doing real good!

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates